Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November Game Project Progress Update - Week 03 (Much Ado About LERPing)

What a beautiful pain in my backside...

What a week it has been! Life had attempted to intervene and distract me from my project, but I've still managed to get plenty of time in. I know this post is technically being made on Week 04, but I really wanted to have some things to talk about before I made a proper post.

What I accomplished:
 - Completely broke and then re-wrote my camera system
 - Implemented the bones of a push interaction for my character
 - Basic Title and Ending screen functionality
 - Music now plays in my game

What I started:
 - I began applying actual textures to my environment
 - Wrote a quick background summary of my world
 - began fleshing out the in-game story
 - character illustrations for side-characters

What I still need to work on:
 - Prop modeling
 - Character Sprite
 - Character Animation
 - Finish Texture work on environment (Diffuse, Spec, and Normals)

So this week I had the bright idea to try Interpolating the movements of my camera from scene to scene. It looked like using Unity's built-in "LERP" function would be easy. No-Dice. I actually ended screwing up my whole camera system and rewriting it from scratch. I'll be more careful next time for sure.
It was much more difficult than I thought it would be, but I finally have an object in my scene that gets pushed around when my character runs into it. Unfortunately it doesn't stop when it runs into walls though... Minor details, right? The good news about this, though is that I can now start working on building puzzles for my game and turning this into something that I can actually show off to people.
I do these weekly Work Jams with my friend Jenn Johnson at her place. It's really good for me, because it means that I get out of my house and away from my computer for a bit. This has allowed me to dedicate some time every week to drawing and writing. I hope that doesn't have to stop any time soon.
I still haven't really done any prop modeling, so I think that will have to be my major focus for this week. I already have some sketches and ideas for what I want to populate my environments with, and I hope that there aren't any other major issues or events creeping up that might hinder my progress-Oh yeah Thanksgiving...
Well, since this month is almost over anyway, I think this is as good of time as any to start talking about where I feel this project is going. I don't really think I am going to be finished with this by the end of November. I can have the whole demo together, but bad. That much is possible, but I don't believe it would be realistic to expect the whole project will be completed and polished. But that's fine! I am going to keep on working on this until it is done! The whole point of this for me was to see if I could work on a project for a whole month without losing interest, and at this point I am willing to call this a major success. I am not only still actively working after almost a month, but the passion for this project has only grown more immense.
That's all I have to say for this week. I promise I'll be back before the end of the month to do another progress update. Hopefully I'll have some really rad nonsense to show off, too.

No comments: