Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Colorful Decisions, and Art Direction of The FIST

Thank you for bearing with me on Monday: I was having a nostalgic episode and wanted to share it with The Internet. If you missed it, you can read the post here. Now let's get back to FIST CHAMPION!

Now that I have the power to scan everything that I sketch, this whole drawing thing has become much more pleasant. In a previous post I showed off what the initial sketches of the environments looked like.
Environment Sketch of the Science Lab
These sketches were originally meant to be guidelines for more detailed paintings in the style of the first stage I had done, the boat on the ocean.
What a beautiful sunset.
It's a cool painting, but it doesn't really evoke a feeling that is true to the kind of person I am, plus it feels a little too sterile for my taste. I needed something different. Since I hadn't yet defined a look for the game, I sat down and did some color tests and wrote down some rules. First and foremost, I remembered the rule of KISS. (Keep It Simple, Stupid.) It turns out that the sketches I had done paired with some basic painting and application of texture could create a really nice look for the rest of the game. It is because of this that I am going to go back to the characters and other backgrounds in order to redo the linework for them on paper in the new style.

I have already done a first pass on five backgrounds using my new rules. I would very much like to show them to you. I hope you like them.





These five paintings represent a major move for me in a positive direction for my game. I know have a much clearer idea of what the end product could look like, and I can't wait for everyone else to see what happens next.

I'll see you next week.

No comments: