Friday, February 21, 2014

A Plot Must Simmer Before It Thickens

First of all, I just want to say that I've been following along with DoubleFine's Amnesia Fortnight. Watching them work has been really very inspiring for me while I work. I don't know if this sounds silly or not, but I have an easier time working when I'm being exposed to other people being productive. I'm listening to them having a morning SCRUM report right now as I type this.

ONWARD. I was doing a pile of sketchwork this week, and I became inspired to inject a story in to my game, FIST CHAMPION. Essentially, what I've come up with is pure B-Movie Bliss. In the world of my game, there is a company called Big YEN, and they're a mega corporation (Think OCP from robocop) that makes everything from No. 2 Pencils to Nuclear Warheads. The board of directors for this company are all evil, though, and want to rule the world.

I'll tell you more about it later, but if you want an idea: think Mortal Kombat meets The Last Starfighter.

Also this week, I've been thinking about the art style to my game. my initial thought was to do some seriously detailed pixel art, like what you'd find on the old NeoGeo/SNK arcade games. Completely ignoring that I am by no means the most detail oriented artist I know, and although I have a very strong passion for smaller scale pixel art, this is way beyond where I am at right now. SCOPE! Scope is what I keep trying to remind myself. So, I think I'm just going to go down some fun avenues, and try drawing and painting and 3D modeling with my game in order to see what I like, what I don't like, and maybe we'll find some things that we didn't expect, but will ultimately help sell the goal of making this "the most eclectic game about arm wrestling there has ever been."

Here's some sketchwork that I've been doing:


I really need to get a scanner...

No comments: