Monday, March 16, 2015

Dungeon Exploration Exploration

It is no secret that I am a huge fan of Zelda games. The very first game I tried to make on my own in Unity was meant to be a send up to my love of the aesthetic of the old Top-Down Zelda games. Alas, the scope of my first attempt was far too large for me to complete even at this point in time. So I've been thinking about making smaller games. Besotted was a smaller game, and I still had the help of a whole team.

I want to make a game on my own, but I have to pull back scope a lot. Since I cant seem to let the Zelda aesthetic go: I will make a little game that revolves around some of those mechanics. I still want to have a story, but I don't think having an overworld is really essential. I think I can come up with a really strong game using a HUB type of home base like I've seen other games use; kind of like in Braid or The End of Time in Chrono Trigger.

I've been thinking about this seriously for a few days now, and this is what I've come up with.

I need a character, a few types of enemies, dungeons, bosses, at least one support character, menus, music, SFX, and a plot. For this type of game: saving is also important. I'll read up on how to do that immediately.

What I currently have working:

  • Camera Movement
  • Character Movement
  • Character Basic Attack
  • A Basic Enemy
  • A Basic Boss
  • A Working Door/Teleporter System
  • A Basic Key System
  • Basic Health
  • Some rooms
All of these things are in place, and far from complete. But it's enough to build a simple dungeon out of. You can play where I am at as of today at this link: Itch.io.

There's a lot of work to be done still, but I think I'm just going to keep moving forward.


No comments: